I adore PanPastels and what they do. Since they are a pastel they need to be fixed or sealed in order to stay put, especially when I add layers on top of them. When I say I add layers on top what I mean is I like to flood it with spray inks, brush paint around on top, and I am not very gentle about it.
How did I figure this out? Hope you are sitting down because it will shock you. I read the directions on the jar.
Using DecoArt Media Ultra-Matte Varnish to seal PanPastels.
- Mix half water with half Ultra Matte Varnish in a small spray bottle.
- Shake well. Really well.
- Spray a light mist and let dry.
- Spray a 2nd coat and let dry.
- Test to see if the PanPastels smudge any and if they do, spray again.
I use a very small spray bottle so I can use up what I mix within the day and rinse out the bottle so that it doesn’t clog up the sprayer.
In the video, I show how I use PanPastels with stencils and after showing you how I sealed them add some messy layers on top. And nothing smears!
Watch Sealing PanPastels Mixed Media Style on YouTube.
You can find my other PanPastel videos on YouTube here.
- DecoArt Media Ultra-Matte Varnish
- Spray Bottle
- PanPastels at Amazon or PanPastels at DickBlick – I really like their new pearlescent colors!
- Canvas Paper – I used Fredrix
- Wall of Words stencil and Hats stencil
Thanks DecoArts for introducing me to Ultra-Matte Varnish!